Today is a better day. We saw the ENT early this morning (I was still in my pjs on the hideaway bed/chair) and he said that the pulmonologists from the Sleep Center would come by to examine Charlie and make a recommendation as to whether Charlie needs a sleep study. I thought, who knows when they will really show up, but they did show up around 10am! Yay!
The pulmonologists were just wonderful. I wanted to kiss them because they were so helpful and stayed for an hour listening to our questions and analysis of the situation and then answering questions. They really worked with us and treated us with respect for our insight. It really helped turn around our outlook.
Medical Update
Caveat: I may not be using all the medical terms correctly, but the layperson will get the idea. Doctors, please correct me where this update is incomplete/incorrect.
So here are few definitions:
micrognathia: small jaw
choanal stenosis: Abnormal narrowing of the choana, the passageway from the back of one side of the nose to the throat
Charlie has been clearly diagnosed with both of these abnormalities. The question has been what caused the cyanosis (blue coloration of Charlie's skin due to lack of oxygen)? We think that it was probably caused by the stenosis combined with nasal congestion. Infants are obligatory nasal breathers and can't switch to mouth breathing if both nostrils are completely blocked, hence the severity of our problem. Since Charlie's nasal cavity has been vacuumed a couple of times, his oxygen levels have been more consistent and there have been no more cyanotic episodes. So, the general consensus today has been that if we have the vacuum equipment at home to keep Charlie's nasal passages clear from congestion, everything will be fine until an intervention is decided upon.
However, the micrognathia is also a "concern" of the ENTs because this can contribute/cause sleep apnea because a small jaw may push the tongue back into the airway. Although Charlie's cyanotic episodes did not happen while he was asleep and I was holding him upright and there have been no issues in the hospital since he was vacuumed, the ENTs are still concerned about all the possible issues that could come up with the micrognathia. It seems fairly clear that this a completely seperate issue from the cyanotic episodes that we witnessed though.
So, even though the pulmonologists think that the sleep study will not be very helpful for solving either the micrognathia or the stenosis questions, the ENTs want the study done. We really have no clue as to what the ENTs will say after the study.
So, one more night in the hospital and we hope to be home for Christmas eve. We have to put together Cookie Letter for Santa!!!!
By the way, Keith came down with horrible stomach flu/food poisoning this morning. Send him lots of of love. He has been such a rock for me as I try do deal with post partum/nursing/baby in hospital/concern for and missing Sam stuff. Fortunately, I think I am only days away from feeling good again (I remember it took about 10 days to sit and walk comfortably after Sam's birth) and on top of nursing, etc.
I'll post if anything changes.
we just love you guys so much!
ReplyDelete