December 23, 2008

Charlie's First Update

When Charlie was a mere two days old, he had some breathing problems and turned blue a couple of times. We brought him to Primary Children’s Hospital here in Salt Lake where he was evaluated. After many, many doctors and seven hours in emergency triage, Charlie was admitted to the Infant Medical Surgical Unit. We have been here since then and Charlie and I are about to spend our third night tonight.

To make a long story short, his right nostril is narrowed by tissue and his small chin means that his tongue may be occasionally blocking air by falling back into his throat. We are waiting to see what the ENTs will recommend, but it is now unclear whether or not some kind of procedure will be necessary. The official diagnosis as of yesterday has now been abandoned and they may recommend a sleep study in the morning.

Except for the difficulty in trying to see the ENTs, Primary Children’s Hospital is amazing. We felt so fortunate driving over here, with my finger in Charlie’s mouth to keep him breathing, that we have such a wonderful place so close to home. The nursing staff is absolutely astounding.

A giant thank you to the Gould/Ward Farrington/Albury clan for taking such good care of Sam since Charlie’s birth.

Anyway, further updates will be on the blog. And I can't get my bethellen@beewrite.com to send messages from here. If I forgot anyone or have old email addresses, I'm sorry.
I can accept messages at the beewrite address though.

Good night….
BE

No comments:

Post a Comment