Wednesday and Thursday I was having contractions, gradually getting stronger. Last night I had one that almost knocked me off my feet, but then they slowed down again. I had a hard time sleeping from the contractions last night and decided that they were getting a little close together for comfort (4 an hour).
Under normal circumstances, one would just stay home and let labor progress, but this is still way too early. I went to the doctor as early as he could get me in, which happened to be after a board meeting I had. So that was convenient.
It turns out that I am 2.5cm dilated. The OB gave me Nifedipine to slow down contractions combined with bedrest. The meds are supposed to make me dizzy, heart race and give me headaches. Yay! It's still a hell of a lot better than being chained to a hospital bed for two weeks.
I took the pills about 30 minutes ago, so they have not kicked in with stopping the contractions, but the headache is here. Contractions are 4-6 minutes apart now, but not painful yet.
If Charlie is born in the next week (which feels likely), it is almost certain that he will be in the NICU for awhile. Since he had the steroids, it may not be like Sam. I hope not. The NICU is both a wonderful and horrible place. At least I know how to advocate for myself and son this time, since I know what to expect.
Even though I know I can't and won't do it, my body feels like it is saying, "Get up and walk, get this labor going." I didn't feel that way with Sam because I was so drugged up. It would have been nice to just have a normal experience.
Ugh. I'm retiring my reproductive organs after this one. (Didn't I say that before?)
Also, everyone cheer for Keith! He is such a star. He picked up my medicine and brought me a little bowl with an assortment of m&m's, mini-Reese cups, and Kisses.
I also need to get Keith to pack my hospital bag tonight. Maybe he'll put chocolate in there too!
No comments:
Post a Comment