May 24, 2008

Sam's Mouth

Sam says and does things that cause us to spit out our drinks, choke on our food, and laugh until we cry. Here are just a few short episodes:

1. Although I am feeling like crap, I managed to bathe and find some freshish smelling clothes and go to the Alpaca Fiber Show in Sandy with Kathy last week. An alpaca is like a small llama and they produce fleece that makes really nice wool (the blue blanket I knitted was from South American alpaca wool).

The show was in a huge convention center and was filled to the brim with alpacas. They are really adorable and friendly animals. Of course, Sam hardly noticed them, which seemed impossible because there was nothing in this enormous room (2 football fields maybe?) but alpacas! He did notice every single blasted electrical outlet, every pipe in the ceiling, every golf cart and discovered some weird little contraption which was a train of coolers with a motor and a guy to sit on the first one to steer. He then required lengthy explanations of each.

I really thought he had not even SEEN an alpaca until we got home. During storytime he was playing with my hair and said, "Mommy, your hair is beautiful, just like the alpacas."

2. Nona gave Sam a T-ball stand when she was here in April and he enjoys playing with it. It rained most of this week, so today was the first in many when we could play outside. While we were in the living room putting on shoes, Keith said, "Ok, Sam! Let's go find your T-ball!" Sam jumped up excitedly and said, "I'm going to get the T-ball!" However, instead of running to the back door, he ran to the kitchen and started rummaging around in the drawers. We kept trying to tell him that we don't keep the T-balls in the kitchen, but he would even more frantically slam a drawer and open the next. Just as we were about to drag everyone outside, he produced a TEA BALL, for loose tea, from the drawer.

After wiping our eyes from poorly stifled hysterical laughter, he was really disappointed that we didn't make tea and forced him outside to play T-ball.

3. Not to wallow, but I am extremely green these days, much more than I was with Sam. I spend a lot of time on the couch reading Sam stories and doing things that don't entail smelling things in the kitchen. Waves of nausea almost knock me over. Sam understands that I am not feeling well and spent the better part of the morning in his kitchen creating an anti-nausea cake for me. The
Sushi Wasabi Bacon Oil Tomato Zucchini Chocolate Cake was born. I had to take a few deep breaths to even write the name of this curative concoction. All day he brought me "pieces" and described the whole cake every time. "It will make you feel better, Mommy."

There are more, of course. I can't keep up with them. I'm also unusually ditzy right now (shut up). Last week I left my groceries at the grocery store and lost an entire district of Salt Lake City where I normally go 4-5 times a week - I found the Twilight Zone instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment